Sunday 26 April 2015

Tales from the campaign trail

By Sarah Hearne (Youngwood Ward)

(Image from wikiHow)
Don't you just hate being at home enjoying your far-too-short evening or weekend only for the doorbell to ring by some stranger asking for a 'just a few minutes of your time'? I know I do, which is why I find canvassing such a conflicting way to spend my time. On the one hand it's the best and most direct way to meet people, understand their concerns and let them get to know you and what you stand for. On the other, it feels that knocking on people's doors unexpectedly and uninvited is the best way to annoy them. So I go canvassing with some hesitation. 

Add to that the unending series of decisions that come with canvassing. The first is whether or not to knock at all. Many people have some variation of the 'No Cold Callers' sticker on their door. Should I ring the bell as I'm not selling anything (except maybe the idea of an informed electorate) or do I take it as a sign that the occupants don't want to be disturbed? Next is whether to ring or knock. Some people have multiple doorbells so I've got to work out which one is the 'active' one. Sometimes I don't see the doorbell until after I've knocked and then feel silly. Other times I ring the doorbell but can't be sure if it's working so don't know whether or not I'm waiting for an answer that doesn't even know it's required. Then there's the decision of how long to wait for someone to answer. It's rarely clear if someone is home so I need to wait long enough to give people time to get to the door but not so long that I waste time and look like an idiot. I've taken to counting slowly to 20 under my breath. If I haven't heard sounds of motion after that time then it's unlikely to come.

If someone does answer the door the next set of decisions present themselves. What to say? I have developed a standard opening line and then try and take my cues as to how to continue from the person. But that standard opening line can start sounding insincere when it's been repeated numerous times so there's the need to make it sound honest, enthusiastic and above all, clear. I've found that even the simplest sentence can become a tongue-twister if said enough times! 

Luckily, when I do speak to people it's generally been extremely positive. I've had a lot of support and encouragement from people and I will do my best to deserve it should I get elected. 

Canvassing is surprisingly hard work but I think it is an essential part of the campaign process. It is the best way for people to get to know me and hopefully begin to trust that a vote for me won't be a wasted vote. It's also surprisingly rewarding - I've been pleasantly surprised by how many people have read my leaflets (I had visions of them being put in the bin unread in their droves!) and have responded positively to them. Above all, it's really nice to meet the people who may be voting for me to discuss the issues that concern them most. After all, it's because I care about Nailsea and its residents that I'm doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment